Nocturne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to talk me into...or out of! 5125 Mod Project

2 posters

Go down

Time to talk me into...or out of!  5125 Mod Project Empty Time to talk me into...or out of! 5125 Mod Project

Post  mshehan Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 pm

OK - here's the scoop. I have ended up with a Gretsch 5125 (one of the black ones). My brother bought it used, but didn't end up liking it, so I traded a MIM Tele for it. Overall it's not too bad, but has a couple issues to address.

First of all, it needs a Bigsby. I figure I'll pick up a B6 or something like that. The arm is broken off of this one, and the spring was taken out of it, I could just replace the arm and spring, but an upgrade wouldn't cost all that much more. That is what HAS to happen.

The "talk me into....or out of" part comes with the pickups. It has the original DeArmond 2000s. So here it comes....I think I know where this might be going. Is it worth the $$ to upgrade to TV Jones T-Armonds? It's a cool guitar for sure....not one I needed....but since I had an extra Tele I never played I figured it was worth a trade.

I think it sounds pretty decent as is, but if the T-Armonds would be a huge step up I'd think about including them in my "winter project." I like it's "twang" of course, but if the T-Armonds would beef up the lows and mids a bit while retaining the twang....I could be swayed to go for it.

I don't have any pictures yet because so far it just looks like a 5125 with a broken Bigsby handle. But with very little "work" it could be pretty nice. I just have to decide on what to do with the pickups scratch
mshehan
mshehan

Back to top Go down

Time to talk me into...or out of!  5125 Mod Project Empty Re: Time to talk me into...or out of! 5125 Mod Project

Post  TAVO Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:54 am

The work involved to put non standard pickups in is a tough one and can lower the resale if the person feels they cant
restore the instrument to OEM. If that doesnt matter then its all up to how much time and money you've got to blow on it.
TAVO
TAVO
Admin

https://nocturne.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Time to talk me into...or out of!  5125 Mod Project Empty Re: Time to talk me into...or out of! 5125 Mod Project

Post  mshehan Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Eh....money to blow....never have enough of that I guess Crying or Very sad The Dearmonds on it really aren't too bad. Screw it...I'll play it as is for now and call it good. I'm not looking for hassle - haha - simple sounds WAY better.
mshehan
mshehan

Back to top Go down

Post  TAVO Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:13 am

dont they sound pretty decent with the atomic brain? you can also shim them up abit closer to the strings
TAVO
TAVO
Admin

https://nocturne.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mshehan Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:16 pm

They do like the Atomic Brain. My Teles do too! I have one of the 2007 Custom Shop rosewood Teles, which sounds really nice. But my 1999 Nocaster (kind of a Nocaster anyway - the body was swapped before i got it Twisted Evil ). Sounds REALLY good - holy crap!

Back to the 5125. I stuck a couple homemade shims under the DeArmonds...they we just as solid with out them. So after further review...Im safe leaving it as is.

mshehan
mshehan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down